I've moved my blog to!. Please update your links. This blog is no longer in use--you can find all posts and comments at my new blog; I will no longer be posting to this site and comments have been disabled.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Today was a great start to a new year. I found out this morning that I was awarded the Microsoft MVP award! I'm really excited about this and I'm looking forward to being able to leverage the benefits that go along with it - namely being able to access the private newsgroup and getting better inside information about what's going on with SharePoint and related technologies. Thanks to Jason Kaczor for nominating me! I really appreciate all the support that he and the many others that have commented on this blog have given me! Looking forward to a great 2008 and lots more stsadm extensions!


Anonymous said...

Sorry to post this a comment to this specific post, but I would really appreciate if you would like to address how you can use stsadm to enable anonymous access?

The first part is easy. Just run stsadm -o authentication...

But for the second part >SiteSettings>Advanced Permissions>Settings>Anonymous Access>Entire Web site
I have not been able to find any advise on how to solve through STSADM.

regards Mats B.

Gary Lapointe said...

Unfortunately I haven't done anything with anonymous access (yet) so I'm not sure what to tell you. There may be an existing command but I doubt it. I can tell you that it's usually pretty easy to create new commands - I tend to start out by just disassembling the web page that contains the functionality I want to reproduce and just snag whatever code I can. If I can be of any help please let me know.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice. Using I had not thought about using Reflector on the application pages.

// Mats

Anonymous said...

If I have not missed anything it turned out to be really simple to do the new stsadm exension. Basically just this code:

using (SPSite site = new SPSite(url))
using (SPWeb web = site.RootWeb)
web.AnonymousState = SPWeb.WebAnonymousState.On;

where url is the -url parameter.

In ordet to get a anonymous site setup I then run:

stsadm.exe -o createwebapp -url http://localhost ... -exclusivelyusentlm ... -allowanonymous
stsadm.exe -o authentication -type Windows -url hbttp://localhost -allowanonymous -usewindowsintegrated
stsadm.exe -o enableanonymousaccess -url http://localhost

// Mats